Reading, writing, and spelling – it’s about oral language and building the brain for literacy! Success in reading, writing, and spelling requires a systematic way of learning, practicing, and applying knowledge about sounds, letters, and meanings of spoken and written words. Whether you are a classroom teacher or interventionist new to the study of language structure or a seasoned specialist, this course will provide essential knowledge and tools to more effectively deliver structured word study instruction. In this webinar, we focus on the framework of SPELL-Links and how to begin using the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum with your students.
After completing this webinar, you will have knowledge of the foundational language essentials of SPELL-Links and understand how to select the right model for implementation for your students and setting. You’ll be ready to get started with confidence with a step-by-step overview of the components and progression of the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum along with a demonstration of how all activities in a lesson from the curriculum are administered and individualized.
This webinar is intended for professionals who have already purchased the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum and are ready to get started using their materials.
- Understand the difference between print-to-speech and speech-to-print approaches and why teaching spelling is so important to overall writing and reading skills.
- Become familiar with the 5-block, multi-linguistic, meta-linguistic, connectionist model of SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing.
- Understand the three models for implementation of SPELL-Links and when to use each in practice.
- Identify what lessons to teach using error analysis and scope and sequence alignment.
- Understand the components, methods, and progression of a SPELL-Links lesson.
- Gain insights into how to individualize word lists and how to teach a 15 to 20-minute mini-lesson if needed.
- Refine instructional activities using principles of speech-to-print and functional connectivity.
- Discontinue practices that interfere with your students’ learning including the one-size-fits-all approach to reading and spelling instruction.
- Know the progression from assessment, to identification of instructional goals to instruction/intervention. If you’re already using the SPELL-2 software, be sure to have one set of SPELL-2 reports for a tested student with you as you view this webinar.
- Boost confidence in your ability to begin using the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum.