Whether you work in a school or private practice, whether you are new to systematic word study or a seasoned pro, this course will provide you with the WHY and HOW to begin using the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum with your students to affect the outcomes you’ve been looking for.
In this webinar, we focus on the framework of SPELL-Links and how to begin using the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum with your students. We begin with a sketch of the research and the theoretical basis to explain why SPELL-Links before offering an overview of the curriculum itself including its scope and sequence. From there, you’ll learn how to develop an instructional plan and take a walk through an entire lesson – including all word-level activities, ideas for modifications, and suggestions for extending the learning.
This webinar is intended for professionals who have already purchased the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum and are ready to get started using their materials, but everyone can benefit from watching this webinar.
- Explain the key differences between print-to-speech and speech-to-print approaches and why teaching spelling is so important to overall writing and reading skills.
- Describe the Five Block (multi-linguistic) Connectionist Model of SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing and explain the importance of explicit, systematic, and integrated instruction of each component.
- Define the three models for implementing SPELL-Links and when to use each.
- Administer the SPELL-2 assessment and understand its role in providing prescriptive data for intervention planning purposes.
- Identify what lessons to teach using error analysis and scope and sequence alignment.
- Prepare a SPELL-Links lesson; identifying the components, methods, and progression.
- Demonstrate how to use reading and writing application activities and how to track progress.
- Refine your understanding of the format of the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum.
- Know the progression from assessment to identification of instructional goals to instruction/intervention.
- Boost confidence in your ability to begin using the SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing Word Study Curriculum.